Mentor Education's Diploma of Financial Planning & SMSF (when combined with one of the AFS licensing options) enables accountants to meet their obligations detailed in Regulatory Guide 146 Licensing: Training of Financial Product Advisers (RG146) and provide advice in Self-Managed Superannuation Funds (SMSFs), Margin Lending, Investing, Superannuation & Life Insurance.
The course is specifically designed for, and oriented towards, recognised practicing public practice accountants - taking into account your breadth of existing financial knowledge and acumen - rather than take you through the basics from the beginning.
With the removal of the accountant's exemption (being Regulation 7.1.29A of the Corporations Regulations 2001) on 1 July 2016, accountants must meet Regulatory Guideline 146 (RG 146) to continue to give advice in relation to financial services and products.
Beyond being purely an educational program, you will also take away practical tools to help you implement financial planning as a revenue stream within your accounting practice, should you so desire.
Designed in conjunction with major financial institutions, it gives credit for your accounting qualification, only assessing gaps in your knowledge and bundling assignments to minimise study and class time.
The aim of the course is meet requirements and to enable you to build broader and deeper client relationships based on being the trusted adviser across all of your clients' financial needs.
Focused on your Success
Successful completion of this course allows you to meet the minimum training standards outlined in Regulatory Guide 146, diversify your client service offering and earn up to 82 CPD points as you learn.
With a Mentor Education qualification, you have confidence in the fact that you will be equipped with the skills and knowledge gained from a credible industry-endorsed program that employs best practice assessment standards, helping you graduate at the leading edge of your chosen field.
This course proves access to the ideal environment to undertake specialty studies and advanced practice to help you take your business to the next level. Upon successful completion, you will be equipped to provide compliant financial advice to meet the objectives of retail clients in the areas of:
- Life Insurance;
- Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSF);
Earn CPD Points
90 continuing professional development points are available, 15 in each of the six Topics.
Who Should Enrol?
Accountants seeking to:
- Qualify to provide advice in the above financial products to their clients.
- Diversify their client services and revenue opportunities by starting their own financial planning division or entering into a referral arrangement and/or joint venture with a financial planner.
- Meet RG146 regulatory education requirement.
- Be recognised for current knowledge by undertaking a gap assessment and only study in the areas where they have a gap in knowledge.
- Study time efficiently and minimise time away from the office.
- Earn CPD points.
Course Entry Requirement
This course is only available to accountants.
This course comprises seven subjects which must be undertaken in strict sequence, starting with Generic Knowledge and Financial Advice.
Recognition of prior learning is available.
It is expected that students will spend 1200 hours in learning and related activities if completing on a full-time basis over 12 months students who have extensive industry experience will be expected to complete it in a shorter period)
This course comprises six subjects. The sequence of each subject must be undertaken in the order displayed on this page.
Australian Industry Essentials and Fundamentals of Financial Advice must be the first subject completed before any of the specialist knowledge subject(s).
Australian Industry Essentials
- The Australian Economy
- Australian Financial Markets
- Investment Funds
- Regulatory Environment
- Corporations Act
- Licensees and their Representatives
- Ethics in Practice
Financial Advice Fundamentals
- Personal Taxation
- Social Security
- Wealth Creation Fundamentals
- Estate Planning Fundamentals
- Establishing Client Relationship
- Identify Client Objectives & Financial Situation
- Analyse Client Objectives & Financial Situation
- Develop Strategies & Solutions
- Present Strategies & Solutions
- Implement Agreed Plan
- Provide On-going Advice
Life Insurance Advice
- Understanding Insurance
- Operation of Insurance Markets
- General Insurance
- Personal Insurance
- Advisory Functions
- Legal Obligations and Compliance
- Life Insurance Market
- Term Life Insurance
- Total and Permanent Disability (TPD)
- Trauma Insurance
- Income Protection Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Life Insurance, Taxation and Superannuation
- Role of the Adviser
- Introduction to Superannuation
- Superannuation Eligibility
- Compulsory Contribution to Superannuation
- Tax Concessions on Superannuation
- Withdrawals on Superannuation and ETP's
- Retirement Income Streams
- Social Security Pensions
- Duties of Superannuation Trustees
- Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSF's)
- Providing Superannuation Advice
- Introduction to Financial Markets
- Introduction to Managed Investments
- Securities - Money Market Investments
- Securities - The Bond Market
- Securities - Shares
- Securities - Property Securities
- Specialised Investments
- Constructing Portfolios
- Use of Leverage
- Taxation Issues for Investors
- Conducting Research
Specialist Knowledge Area
This specialist knowledge area will equip you with the expertise and technical skills to provide compliant Self Managed Superannuation Funds (SMSF) advice to clients on:
- Superannuation Fundamentals
- Introducing SMSFs
- Forming an SMSF
- Obligations of Trustees
- Contributing to an SMSF
- Investments by a SMSF
- Investment Opportunities for a SMSF
- Pensions & Withdrawals from a SMSF
- Estate Planning in a SMSF and Winding up a SMSF
Financial Plan Construction
Upon completion of the specialist knowledge subjects, a Statement of Advice (SoA) is researched, developed, implemented, presented, and reviewed.
Units of Competency
This course includes nationally recognised units
|BSBITU402||Develop and use complex spreadsheets|
|FNSASICZ503||Provide advice in financial planning|
|FNSFPL501||Comply with financial planning practice ethical and operational guidelines and regulations|
|FNSFPL502||Conduct financial planning analysis and research|
|FNSFPL503||Develop and prepare financial plan|
|FNSFPL504||Implement financial plan|
|FNSFPL505||Review financial plans and provide ongoing service|
|FNSFPL506||Determine client financial requirements and expectations|
|FNSINC401||Apply principles of professional practice to work in the financial services industry|
|FNSFPL507||Provide financial planning advice|
|FNSFPL508||Conduct complex financial planning research|
|FNSIAD501||Provide appropriate services, advice and products to clients|
|FNSINC501||Conduct product research to support recommendations|
|FNSCUS505||Determine client requirements and expectations|
|FNSASICU503||Provide advice in superannuationImplement financial plan|
|FNSASICX503||Provide advice in life insurance|
|FNSASICT503||Provide advice in Managed Investments|
|FNSASICW503||Provide advice in Securities|
Self Managed Superannuation Funds Personal Advice
|FNSSMS501||Invest in self-managed superannuation funds assets|
|FNSSMS601||Provide advice in self-managed superannuation funds|
|FNSSMS602||Apply taxation requirements when advising in self-managed superannuation funds|
|FNSSMS603||Apply legislative and operational requirements to advising in self-managed superannuation funds|
|FNSSMS505||Support trustee in the selection and performance monitoring of outsourced services|
Career Pathway Program
Being a quality educator in the financial services industry, we recognise the important contribution that industry peers can make in your ongoing professional development. To help our students access the right resources and expertise to maximise their potential in the financial services industry, Mentor has teamed up with Australia’s leading industry bodies to design a comprehensive suite of career-building tools for Diploma of Financial Planning and Advanced Diploma of Financial Planning students, called the ‘Career Pathway Program’
- developing your skills and knowledge with 12-month FREE professional development subscription, valued at $360
- guaranteed acceptance into the profession with FREE association membership;
- job networking opportunities held nationally with prospective employers;
- support from a real community of ‘Career Leaders’ who are there to assist your success
- Keep updated with industry news and events
If you’re looking to transition into or advance your existing financial services career, this is an opportunity you can’t afford to miss. If you enrol into the full Diploma of Financial Planning or Advanced Diploma of Financial Planning courses, the Career Pathway Program is FREE.
We have designed our assessment activities in line with best practice standards to help you deliver quality advice outcomes to your clients.
Each subject includes:
- Practice multiple choice questions; and
- A multiple-choice knowledge test. At the end of the program, you will be required to prepare a financial plan (SoA) involving:
- Short answer responses to a practical case studies; and
- A client/adviser engagement role play (via telephone).
Our friendly and experienced team will provide support and assessment feedback as you progress through your studies.
FLEXIBLE DELIVERY OPTIONS: NATION-WIDE
Mentor specialises in providing professional education and training services to you anywhere, any-time. We appreciate that learning needs differ for each individual and organisation, which is why we allow you to select the approach that works best for you.
The Accountant's bridging course is the premium pathway from accounting to related financial advice practice. To ensure practice growth, client retention and longevity this is the course for you
$2,410.00*Call us for our upfront special price
Download Enrolment Form
and Payment Form
BONUS: Assessments completed in workshops
Download Enrolment Form
and Payment Form
Workshop spaces are limited, so book your spot to avoid disappointment