Mentor Education's nationally recognised Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215) is an educational qualification requirement as determined in Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009, which sets the professional qualifications and experience required to become an accountant, registered tax agent, registered BAS agent and tax (financial) adviser.
Employers are increasingly looking for candidates who are equipped to meet the challenges of being a successful accountant, tax and BAS agent and graduate at the leading edge of their field.
This course is ideal for those new to the accounting industry or who will be transferring to a position in the future in which they will be providing BAS, GST and/or accounting services.
Mentor Education's Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215) is trusted by one of the leading professional bodies in accounting representing the interests of more than 26,000 members.Changes to the Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215).
Please read the information below regarding changes to the Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215) qualification.
Mentor Education's Diploma of Accounting has been designed for those looking to progress further in their accounting career. This course is provided online, and will provide you with the skills and knowledge to allow you to progress into an entry level position as a:
- Accounts Clerk
- Accounts Payable Officer
- Accounts Receivable Officer
- Assistant Accountant
- Senior Bookkeeper
By completing this qualification you will learn how to:
- Prepare financial reports
- Prepare tax documentation for individuals
- Manage budgets and forecasts
- Develop and use complex spreadsheets
- Establish and maintain accounting information systems
We recognise that employers are increasingly looking for candidates who are aware of the challenges of being a successful accountant. Often a candidate's Qualification is the only evidence that they possess the technical skills and knowledge requirements to conduct themselves professionally as an authorised representative.
With a Mentor Education qualification you have confidence in the fact that you will be equipped with the skills and knowledge gained from a credible industry-endorsed program that employs best practice assessment standards, helping you graduate at the leading edge of your chosen field.
Who Should Enrol?
Mentor Education's Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215) is suitable for professionals currently in industry in a bookkeeping or accounting role, looking to validate their existing skills and knowledge with a formal qualification. It is also suitable for those seeking to enter the industry in an accounting role in the future.
- The course can be tailored to meet the needs of BAS agent, accountants and institutions.
- It is also appropriate for candidates who currently work in accounting and are seeking a formal qualification.
Course Entry Requirement
This is an open entry course with no pre-requisite qualifications.
In order for you to successfully complete this qualification, it is strongly recommended that students have a strong grasp of computer/technical skills, MYOB installed on their computer, Microsoft Excel installed on their computer, access to a reliable high quality internet connection and literacy/numeracy skills.
Versions of MYOB are available for both Windows-based computers and Mac-based computers, however - it is recommended that students have access to a Windows-based computer and Microsoft Excel, making it easier to follow the Windows-based examples and instructions.
It is expected that students will complete this course within a 24-month period. Students who have extensive industry experience should expect to complete the Diploma of Accounting course in a shorter time period.
DA 1 - Accounting Systems
- Develop and Use Complex Spreadsheets
- Establish and Maintain A Cash Accounting System
- Establish and Maintain An Accrual Accounting System
DA 2 - Individual Tax Returns & Business Performance
- Provide Financial and Business Performance Information
- Prepare Tax Documents for Individuals *
DA 3 - Budgets, Forecasts & Corporate Reporting
- Manage Budgets and Forecasts
- Prepare Financial Reports for Corporate Entities
- Process Financial Transactions and Extract Interim Reports
DA 4 - Control Procedures & Management Accounting
- Implement and Maintain Internal Control Procedures
- Provide Management Accounting Information
- Prepare Financial Reports
Units of Competency
- Provide financial and business performance information
- Prepare tax documents for individuals *
- Manage budgets and forecasts
- Prepare financial reports for corporate entities
- Implement and maintain internal control procedures
- Provide management accounting information
- Prepare financial reports
- Develop and use complex spreadsheets
- Process financial transactions and extract interim reports
- Establish and maintain a cash accounting system
- Establish and maintain an accrual accounting system
* Units included in the Tax Practitioners Board approved course in Australian taxation law
We have designed our assessment activities in line with best practice standards to help you deliver quality advice outcomes to your clients.
Assessment tasks may be a combination of:
- Short answer questions
- Case study and scenario responses
- Projects, Portfolio
- Role Plays
- Practical Demonstration
- Journal and Self-reflection exercises
After enrolling into this program, you will be provided with a student membership with the Institute of Public Accountants free of charge.
As part of your student membership you will have access to the following benefits:
- Access to IPA's online Magazine Our Public Accountant Digital Hub
- Introductions to popular IPA Discussion Groups, held all over Australia, with top speakers on a range of subjects
- Access to the IPA Linkedin global networking forum, allowing you to network and connect with IPA members
- Mentoring and work-shadowing opportunities
- Regular email updates, covering industry news and views
- Discounted CPE offerings at our IPA offices around Australia
- Invitations to events and networking forums with top accounting and finance leaders
Once you have completed your studies you will have a chance to upgrade your student membership to become a Graduate Associate of the IPA for $175.00 rather than the standard membership fee of $669.00.
Mentor Education's Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215) is a nationally recognised qualification, complying with the AQF standard and ASQA standards for Registered Training Organisations.
Successful completion of this qualification will help you to:
- Be awarded and recognised as holding the most current nationally recognised accounting qualification
- Be recognised for completing units covering GST and BAS which are required to become a registered BAS agent
- Become a competent user of MYOB, the most widely known and used accounting software in Australia
Changes to the Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215).
This course is now superseded and in teach-out and has been replaced by the Diploma of Accounting (FNS50217).
Mentor Education has received approval from ASQA to commence delivery of the new Diploma of Accounting (FNS50217) qualification. New students can commence studies from July 1, 2018.
Students have until 13 February 2019 to complete their current course if they choose not to transition to the new qualification. For those students choosing to complete the transition module they will have an additional period of 6 months to complete the qualification.
Both versions of the Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215 & FNS50217) will continue to be Nationally Recognised qualifications accredited under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) and will continue to be recognised as pre-requisites for entry to the Advanced Diploma of Accounting (FNS60217).
Students with older versions of the Certificate IV Bookkeeping, Certificate IV Accounting, Diploma of Accounting qualifications (FNS10 Training Package or earlier)
For those students that may have completed older versions of the qualifications (FNS10 Training Package or earlier) that that are wanting to update their Certificate IV Bookkeeping or Certificate IV Accounting for entry to the new Diploma qualification (subject to ASQA approval) we will make available the following skill set:
FNSSS00014 Accounting Principles Skill Set:
- FNSACC311 Process financial transactions and extract interim reports
- FNSACC312 Administer subsidiary accounts and ledgers
- FNSACC408 Work effectively in the accounting and bookkeeping industry
- FNSACC416 Set up and operate a computerised accounting system
- FNSTPB401 Complete business activity and instalment activity statements
- FNSTPB402 Establish and maintain payroll systems;
For those students that may have completed older versions of the qualifications (FNS10 Training Package or earlier) that that are wanting to update their Diploma of Accounting for entry to the new Advanced Diploma qualification (subject to ASQA approval) we will make available the following skill set:
FNSSS00015 Advanced Accounting Principles Skill Set:
- FNSACC511 Provide financial and business performance information
- FNSACC512 Prepare tax documentation for individuals
- FNSACC513 Manage budgets and forecasts
- FNSACC514 Prepare financial reports for corporate entities
- FNSACC516 Implement and maintain internal control procedures
- FNSACC517 Provide management accounting information
Please check this page regularly for further updates.
FLEXIBLE DELIVERY OPTIONS: NATION-WIDE
Mentor Education specialises in providing professional education and training services to you anywhere, any-time. We appreciate that learning needs differ for each individual and organisation, which is why we allow you to select the approach that works best for you.
Mentor Education's Diploma of Accounting (FNS50215) is a great choice for individuals who are currently in a bookkeeping, accounting or BAS agent role, and those who are looking to break into the industry. If you want to graduate at the leading edge of this field with the skills and knowledge to get ahead in the industry, then this is the course for you.
Download Enrolment Form
and Payment Form
Terms and Conditions
*Offer only for online study and requires full upfront payment. No payment plans available. No discounts available for workshops. To be eligible for the discount, you will need to have fully paid for your course enrolment before 30 June 2018, 4pm AEST. Cannot be used in conjunction with other offers/existing quotes or applied to past enrolments. Discount is based on recommended retail price listed on the Mentor Education website as at 15 May 2018. Students will be able to commence studies within 14 days of completing enrolment application and payment. Excludes all workshops; online study only. Restricted to the first 200 student enrolments. Offer ends 30 June 2018, 4pm AEST or after 200 student enrolments.
**We do not offer any financial advice, nor should any information on this page be classified as financial advice in relation to eligibility of self-education expenses and taxation. Visit the ATO website or speak to your accountant for further information.