Mentor Education's nationally recognised FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping course is tailored to individuals either currently working in bookkeeping and accounting roles or those preparing to launch a career as a professional bookkeeper, payroll officer, accounts clerk or BAS agent. This bookkeeping and accounting qualification is the most up to date qualification and supersedes both the FNS40215 - Certificate IV in Bookkeeping and FNS40615 - Certificate IV in Accounting courses.
Delivered via online study, this qualification introduces students to a broad range of accounting and bookkeeping skills including the preparation of financial reports, completion and lodging of business activity and instalment activity statements, ledger administration, cloud computing and processing financial transactions.
The FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping alongside additional assessment requirements as outlined by the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) meet requirements for a course in basic GST/BAS taxation principles that is approved by the TPB*.
Mentor Education’s FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is recognised and accredited by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB). Students who enrol into this accounting and bookkeeping course will have the choice to receive free student membership with the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) and/or the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA).
The FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is now also offered as part of the Dual BSB40320 - Certificate IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business & FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping qualification; an ideal course for individuals aspiring to or currently running their own small business or bookkeeping business.
The FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is ideal for those individuals undertaking or seeking roles in the accounting sector, including bookkeepers, accounts clerks and BAS Agents.
Successful completion of this qualification will help you to:
- Be awarded and recognised as holding the FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping, the most current nationally recognised Accounting and Bookkeeping nationally recognised qualification
- Be recognised for completing units covering GST and BAS which are required to become a registered BAS agent
Who Should Enrol?
Mentor Education's FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is suitable for professionals currently in a bookkeeping or accounting role, looking to validate their existing skills and knowledge with a formal qualification. It is also suitable for those seeking to enter the industry in an accounting or bookkeeping role.
Course Entry requirements
This is an open entry course with no pre-requisite qualifications.
In order for students to successfully complete this qualification, it is recommended that students have a strong grasp of computer/technical skills, MYOB installed on their computer (free MYOB student version provided by Mentor Education), Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) installed on their computer, access to a reliable high-quality internet connection and literacy/numeracy skills.
Versions of MYOB are available for both Windows-based computers and Mac-based computers, however - it is recommended that students have access to a Windows-based computer and Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), making it easier to follow the Windows-based examples and instructions.
Transition and upgrading information
Current students enrolled in the Certificate IV in Bookkeeping (FNS40215) and/or the Certificate IV in Accounting (FNS40615) have the option to transition to this new qualification.
The Certificate IV in Accounting (FNS40615) and the Certificate IV in Bookkeeping (FNS40215) will continue to be recognised pre-requisites for entry into the FNS50217 Diploma of Accounting. The FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping, the Certificate IV in Accounting (FNS40615) and Certificate IV in Bookkeeping (FNS40215) courses will continue to be Nationally Recognised qualifications accredited under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).
Students with older versions of the Certificate IV Bookkeeping, Certificate IV Accounting, Diploma of Accounting qualifications (FNS10 Training Package or earlier)
For those students that may have completed older versions of the qualifications (FNS10 Training Package or earlier) that that are wanting to update their Certificate IV Bookkeeping or Certificate IV Accounting for entry to the new Diploma qualification (subject to ASQA approval) we will make available the following skill set:
FNSSS00014 Accounting Principles Skill Set:
- FNSACC311 Process financial transactions and extract interim reports
- FNSACC312 Administer subsidiary accounts and ledgers
- FNSACC408 Work effectively in the accounting and bookkeeping industry
- FNSACC416 Set up and operate a computerised accounting system
- FNSTPB401 Complete business activity and instalment activity statements
- FNSTPB402 Establish and maintain payroll systems;
For those students that may have completed older versions of the qualifications (FNS10 Training Package or earlier) that that are wanting to update their Diploma of Accounting for entry to the new Advanced Diploma qualification (subject to ASQA approval) we will make available the following skill set:
FNSSS00015 Advanced Accounting Principles Skill Set:
- FNSACC511 Provide financial and business performance information
- FNSACC512 Prepare tax documentation for individuals
- FNSACC513 Manage budgets and forecasts
- FNSACC514 Prepare financial reports for corporate entities
- FNSACC516 Implement and maintain internal control procedures
- FNSACC517 Provide management accounting information
The total duration for the course is 24 months.
The course has been structured so that delivery will complement the training with step by step required skills and knowledge, providing the learner with an efficient delivery model from start to finish, ensuring each individual’s needs will be met with their specialisation award.
- Prepare financial reports
- Introduce cloud computing into business operations
- Process financial transactions and extract interim reports
- Administer subsidiary accounts and ledgers
- Work effectively in the accounting and bookkeeping industry
- Set up and operate a computerised accounting system
- Complete business activity and instalment activity statements *
- Establish and maintain payroll systems*
* Units form BAS agent registration Skill Set.
- Evaluate and authorise payment requests
- Deliver and monitor a service to customers
- Manage personal work priorities and professional development
- Perform financial calculations
- Process business tax requirements
Mentor Education specialises in providing professional education and training services to you anywhere, any-time. We appreciate that learning needs differ for each individual and organisation, which is why we allow you to select the approach that works best for you.
Assessment may include:
- Multiple Choice Questions
- Short answer questions
- Long Answer Questions
- Case Study and Scenario's
- Research Tasks
Examples of activities that can be allocated to students included in self-directed hours may be:
- Set reading (textbook/workbook)
- Instructed research
- Self-directed research
Study Options - Online learning
Study online at your own pace, giving you the flexibility to achieve a nationally recognised qualification whilst also fulfilling your other life commitments.
Unlimited e-mail and phone support is provided by our experienced student support team between Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm, so you're never left to feel 'lost' or stuck during your studies.
After enrolling into this program, you will be have the option to receive student membership with the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) and/or the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA), free of charge.
Institute of Certified Bookkeepers student membership
You will have the option to receive a complimentary Student Membership to the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers, valued at $120. This entitles you to the following services with the ICB:
- specialised student newsletter keeping you up to date with changes in the industry,
- student resources to assist you in learning more about working as a bookkeeper; and
- network meetings with industry professionals
Institute of Public Accountants student membership
As part of your Institute of Public Accountants student membership you will have access to the following benefits:
- Access to IPAs online Magazine Our Public Accountant Digital Hub
- Introductions to popular IPA Discussion Groups, held all over Australia, with top speakers on a range of subjects
- Invitations to events and networking forums with top accounting and finance leaders
Once you have completed your studies you will have a chance to upgrade your student membership to become a Graduate Associate of the IPA.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be awarded the FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping qualification.
Mentor Education’s FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is a nationally recognised qualification from the Financial Services Training Package which complies with the Australian Qualifications Framework standard.
Successful completion will help you to:
- Achieve the latest bookkeeping qualification, including the GST/BAS units required for registration as a BAS agent.
- Become an intermediate user of MYOB, Australia’s most widely used accounting system
Graduates of this course usually seek employment in accounting and bookkeeping roles, or continue their education undertaking qualifications including the FNS50217 - Diploma of Accounting and thereafter the FNS60217 - Advanced Diploma of Accounting.
Mentor specialises in providing professional education and training services to you anywhere, any-time. We appreciate that learning needs differ for each individual and organisation, which is why we allow you to select the approach that works best for you.
A. Online study / Self-paced
Recommended for confident self-directed learners and is related to their current chosen career.
|ONLINE / SELF-PACED LEARNING|
$1,250.00*$2,400.00* ($250.00 Deposit &
4 x $250 Monthly payments)
B. Online study / Self-paced, Live Tutorials
Recommended for self-directed learners also interested in additional Virtual class tutorials.
|ONLINE / LIVE VIRTUAL TUTORIALS|
$1,500.00*$2,895.00* ($250.00 Deposit &
5 x $250 Monthly payments)
C. Additional Support
Recommended for individuals new to online learning or returning to learning who would benefit from additional support.
|ONLINE / ADDITIONAL SUPPORT|
$2,400.00*Call for info
* Terms and conditions
For further information regarding tuition fees and study options related to the FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping Australian Government nationally recognised qualification listed on this web page delivered by Mentor Education Pty Ltd (RTO 21683), please visit the Terms and Conditions section of the Mentor Education Website located at https://www.mentor.edu.au/terms-and-conditions or call us on 1300 306 146.
Option C. Additional Support
For students wishing to enrol into the FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping course who have selected the Online / Additional Support option as part of their enrolment, please contact Mentor Education on 1300 306 146 for further details.