Mentor Education's Australian nationally recognised FNS40222 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping course is suitable for candidates currently working in bookkeeping and accounting roles who are seeking a formal qualification to enhance and confirm their existing knowledge and skills or those who are looking to enter the accounting / bookkeeping industry or looking at becoming registered BAS agents. This bookkeeping and accounting qualification is the most up to date qualification and supersedes the FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Accounting and bookkeeping courses.
Delivered via online study (Combination Online and Distance Learning) with additional access to simulated work environments and the Xero and KeyPay Payroll cloud accounting platforms, this qualification introduces students to a broad range of accounting and bookkeeping skills. It includes units covering topics such as processing financial transactions, preparing and lodging business and instalment activity statements, financial report preparation and establishing and maintaining payroll systems.
Mentor Education’s FNS40222 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is recognised and accredited by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB). Students who enrol into this accounting and bookkeeping course will have the free student membership with the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA).
The FNS40222 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is ideal for those individuals undertaking or seeking roles in the accounting sector, including bookkeepers and accounts clerks.
Students will have access to business intranet simulations hosted as a website, providing students with alternative industry options for their learning context.
Successful completion of this qualification will help you to:
- Be awarded and recognised as holding the FNS40222 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping, the most current nationally recognised Accounting and Bookkeeping nationally recognised qualification
Who Should Enrol?
Mentor Education's FNS40222 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is suitable for professionals currently in a bookkeeping or accounting role, looking to validate their existing skills and knowledge with a formal qualification. It is also suitable for those seeking to enter the industry in an accounting or bookkeeping role.
Course Entry requirements
There are no specified entry requirements for this course.
Mentor Education has in place admission criteria for courses on its Scope of Registration as required by its Application and Enrolment Procedures for VET Courses to ensure that students meet industry requirements and are able to succeed with their enrolment. As part of the Enrolment Process, students will need to meet the following requirements for enrolment in this course:
All students must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Mentor Education can apply for a USI on behalf of the student once the student has provided written authority and two forms of photo identification. If the student already has a USI, they must provide the number to Mentor Education for verification. Refer to the Enrolment Policy and Procedure for further details. For further information regarding USI, refer https://www.usi.gov.au/
1. All students are required to undertake a Language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment prior to enrolment being accepted by Mentor Education if they are under the age of 18 or have disclosed a learning disability on enrolment. This is to ensure students enrolling in the course have the skills to complete training and assessment requirements for successful completion. Applicants who are identified as having language, literacy and numeracy needs will be referred to the trainer/assessor for specialist assistance, providing additional learning throughout the program if required.
2. Students must have good technological literacy as well as access to a computer (PC or MAC) with Microsoft Office software (Office 365), good internet access and video conferencing features (video camera and microphone for example) that can integrate with software programs such as Zoom Education, Skype, Google Hangouts, GoToMeeting, etc. This is to ensure that students are able to participate in the tutorial sessions and supervised self-study activities that are significant components of the supervised self-study hours.
3. Where a course has an identified pre-requisite for entry in the Training Package students must be able to demonstrate that they have met the entry requirement as published for the qualification on Training.gov.au.
Please visit https://www.mentor.edu.au/government-support for further information.
Transition and upgrading information
Current students enrolled in the FNS40217 - Certificate IV in Bookkeeping have the option to transition to this new qualification.
For further information in relation to Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT), please download a course brochure or call Mentor Education on 1300 306 146.
For those students that may have completed older versions of the qualifications (FNS10 Training Package or earlier) that that are wanting to update their Certificate IV Bookkeeping or Certificate IV Accounting for entry to the new Diploma qualification (subject to ASQA approval) please contact us so we can evaluate your requirements.
The total duration for the course is 24 months.
The course has been structured so that delivery will complement the training with step by step required skills and knowledge, providing the learner with an efficient delivery model from start to finish, including simulated work environments and access to the Xero accounting cloud platform, ensuring each individual’s needs will be met with their specialisation award.
- Design and produce spreadsheets
- Process financial transactions and extract interim reports
- Administer subsidiary accounts and ledgers
- Prepare operational budgets
- Prepare financial statements for non-reporting entities
- Work effectively in the accounting and bookkeeping industry
- Set up and operate a computerised accounting system
- Prepare financial reports
- Complete business activity and instalment activity statements *
- Establish and maintain payroll systems*
* Units form BAS agent registration Skill Set.
- Process salary packaging arrangements and additional allowances in payroll
- Process superannuation payments in payroll
- Process complex employee terminations in payroll
Assessment Resources that will be used are:
- Assessment Guide
- Case Studies
- Business Simulation
Evidence Gathering Techniques - Assessments:
The following list provides a general overview of the evidence gathering techniques that will be used to assess each unit of competency. A range of assessment techniques are outlined in below to gather sufficient evidence, in a range of contexts, to meet the requirements of the training package and make a decision regarding competence. Other assessment methods may be used depending on the requirements for individual units of competence:
- Reports, Research, Portfolio
- Third Party Reports
- Work based tasks in Simulation
- Observation of performance requirements and work-based tasks
Study Options - Online learning
Study online at your own pace, giving you the flexibility to achieve a nationally recognised qualification whilst also fulfilling your other life commitments.
Unlimited e-mail and phone support is provided by our experienced student support team between Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm, so you're never left to feel 'lost' or stuck during your studies.
After enrolling into this program, you will be have the option to receive student membership with the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA), free of charge.
Institute of Public Accountants student membership
As part of your Institute of Public Accountants student membership you will have access to the following benefits:
- Access to IPAs online Magazine Our Public Accountant Digital Hub
- Introductions to popular IPA Discussion Groups, held all over Australia, with top speakers on a range of subjects
- Invitations to events and networking forums with top accounting and finance leaders
Once you have completed your studies you will have a chance to upgrade your student membership to become a Graduate Associate of the IPA.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be awarded the FNS40222 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping qualification.
Mentor Education’s FNS40222 - Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping is a nationally recognised qualification from the Financial Services Training Package which complies with the Australian Qualifications Framework standard.
Successful completion will help you to:
- Achieve the latest bookkeeping qualification, including the GST/BAS units required for registration as a BAS agent.
- Become an intermediate user of the Xero accounting system
The units of competency within this qualification have been specially selected to assist those who work or inspire to work as a:
- Accounts Officer
- Accounts Supervisor
Mentor specialises in providing professional education and training services to you anywhere, any-time. We appreciate that learning needs differ for each individual and organisation, which is why we allow you to select the approach that works best for you.